Founding of the company
EEW was founded in 1936 by Hermann Klein, the father-in-law of Jörg Schorge, one of the managing directors of the EEW Group. In those days, EEW not only manufactured pipes, but also pressure vessels of all kinds, heating oil tanks, gas cylinders, boilers, silos, large buoys, special trailers for cars and lorries as well as the tanks for tanker lorries.
A new name
EEW was originally founded as Erndtebrücker Eisen & Blechwarenwerk GmbH & Co. In the year 1952, the name was changed to Erndtebrücker Eisenwerk Hermann Klein & Co. GmbH. From 1950 until 1973, EEW predominantly manufactured steel heating oil tanks.
Manufacturing of DSAW
During the oil crisis in 1974, under the leadership of the new managing director, Jörg Schorge, the production programme was changed to include large DSAW steel pipes. Not only did EEW supply these pipes to the mechanical engineering industry, but also to the newly-emerging offshore industry in the North Sea.
Expansion of production
The production of longitudinally-welded pipes was so successful that production facilities soon became too small to cover the increasing demand. A factory situated on a neighbouring plot was bought.
Completion of the 13 m (42.7 ft.)
pipe manufacturing line in Erndtebrück
The year 1994 proved to be a turning point in the history of EEW. Because more and more specifications required pipes in 12 m (39.4 ft.) lengths without circumferential welds, the owners made the decision to install a state-of-the-art production line, the heart of which is a 13.2 m (43.3 ft.) press. This investment brought EEW further ahead and made the company an international market leader in the manufacturing of LSAW steel pipes.
Point-to-Point Construction Service is created
In 1995, a CNC burning machine was installed and EEW’s “Point-to-Point” service was created. This service comprises the prefabrication of piping components ready for installation, from detailed engineering to pipe manufacturing to the organisation of transport. Today, the “Point-to-Point” service is not only used by the fabricators of offshore jackets, but also for slug catchers, bridges, stadiums and airport terminals.
The founding of EEW Korea
In 2001, EEW became an international company, by founding a plant in Sacheon, on the southern coast of South Korea. The first phase of EEW Korea began with the manufacturing of 6.1 m (20 ft.) pipes. In 2004, the second phase was completed, with the installation of a 13.2 m (43.3 ft.) production line.
EEW Erndtebrück – completion of the 12 m (39.4 ft.) line
In June of 2005, a 12 m (39.4 ft.) production line was installed in Erndtebrück, upon which large-diameter, thin-walled pipes are economically produced. The heart of this production line is a 12.2 m (40 ft.) three-roll bending machine. This additional production line increased the production capacity in Erndtebrück by an additional 25,000 tonnes each year.
Start of production at EEW SPC
With the founding of EEW Special Pipe Constructions in Rostock, EEW entered the (then) newly-emerging renewable energy sector. EEW SPC is the heavyweight in the EEW Group and is specialised in the manufacturing of foundations for offshore wind turbines. Here, pipes with outside diameters up to 10,000 mm (393.7”), wall thicknesses up to 170 mm (6.7”) and maximum combined lengths of up to 120 m (393.7 ft.) are produced. The maximum piece weight that can be handled in our Rostock plant is 1,500 tonnes.
The founding of WELDEC
During the construction of EEW SPC, it was determined that the new welding machines did not fulfil the high EEW welding standards. As a result of this, in 2009, EEW decided to establish its own mechanical engineering company: WELDEC GmbH.
EEW Pickhan joins the EEW Group
In the year 2009, EEW took over the company Pickhan Umformtechnik. This EEW subsidiary is one of the world’s leading experts for special forming work. The core business of EEW Pickhan is the manufacturing of specialised pipes and specialised pipe components, such as extremely thick-walled pipes, half shells and cones.
The founding of EEW Malaysia
With the founding of EEW Malaysia, also in the year 2009, a second production location abroad was created. The premises are in an excellent location, in the Tanjung Langsat industrial area near Pasir Gudang, on the southern coast of Malaysia. There is access to the local harbour. The EEW Malaysia production programme covers line pipes and structural tubing.
The founding of
Global Pipe Company
Since 2011, the EEW Global Pipe Company has been a member of the EEW Group. This Saudi-German joint venture specialises in the manufacturing of line pipes for the oil, gas and petrochemical industries. Our Saudi Arabian plant is located in Jubail Industrial City.
EEW Bergrohr joins the EEW Group
In order to complete the product portfolio of EEW plants in Europe, the Siegen-based company Bergrohr was incorporated into the EEW Group in 2014. As EEW’s competence centre for thin-walled pipes, EEW Bergrohr produces pipes with two longitudinal welds and outside diameters of up to 2,540 mm (100”).
Founding of EEW OSB
Also in the year 2014, EEW Offshore Structures (Britain) Ltd. was founded. Located in Teesside, England, the present centre of the European offshore wind industry, this plant is mainly focused on the production of transition pieces for offshore wind turbines.
EEW KHPC – start
EEW KHPC (EEW Korea Heavy Pipe Construction) was founded in 2015 as a second plant in Korea. The Korean plant specialises in the manufacturing of structural pipes and the assembly of pipe structures with a maximum length of 80 m and up to 300 tonnes in weight. From the location in Gwangyang, with striking distance to the seaport, EEW KHPC is ideally prepared to serve the attractive markets in Asia and America as well as those in the Middle East and South Asia.
The EEW Group has expanded considerably since its founding in the year 1936. With more than 2,000 employees, nine production facilities, an annual production capacity of more than 800,000 tonnes of steel pipes as well as a unique production range, we are one of the world’s leading specialists for the production of submerged-arc welded pipes.